Physicians & Staff
Thomas Lee Bauer, M.D.
Section Chief, Thoracic Surgery
Following his graduation from Dickinson College, Dr. Bauer earned his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1992. He completed his surgical and cardiothoracic surgical residencies at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in 2002. As a resident, Dr. Bauer received the Alpha Omega Alpha Resident Teaching Award. He also has multiple publications from his interest in medical research related to cardiothoracic surgery.
Dr. Bauer joined Christiana Care Health System in 2002 as a thoracic surgeon at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center. He has initiated and led numerous programs and research projects aimed at advancing the treatment of lung and esophageal cancer in Delaware and nationwide, advanced 3D medical imaging, virtual bronchoscopy and epidemiological studies of lung cancer. Dr. Bauer has received the resident teaching award as well as being chosen as a physician ambassador for the operating room nurses. Dr. Bauer most recently was profiled as one of Delaware Today's TOP DOCS. Dr. Bauer sees patients at the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center.
Dr. Bauer leads the Christiana participation in the International Early Lung Cancer Action Program (I-ELCAP). He is both an institutional as well as national principle investigator of clinical trials. Dr. Bauer has received grants from the National Institute of Health and other organizations for his medical research with the University of Delaware and the Helen F. Graham Cancer Center. Dr. Bauer serves as a Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery with Jefferson Medical College as well as an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biologic Sciences at the University of Delaware.
- Certified, American Board of Surgery and American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons, American Society of Surgical Oncology, and College of Chest Physicians
- Diplomate American Board of Medical Examiner
- Society of Thoracic Surgery
- Pennsylvania Association for Thoracic Surgery
- Association of Academic Surgery
- Philadelphia Academy of Surgeons
- General Thoracic Surgery Club
- American Association for Cancer Research
- Serves on National Committees involved in research and treatment of cancer.
- CALGB - Thoracic Surgery Committee
- Surgical Quality Assurance Committee Member
- CTEP - Reviewer for Thoracic Malignancies
|Practice:||Helen F. Graham Cancer Center|
Helen F. Graham Cancer Center